K. Drorit Gaines, Ph.D.
Neuro Health, LLC
8383 Wilshire Blvd. Suite #800 4910 Van Nuys Blvd, Suite #302
Beverly Hills, CA 90211 Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
phone (323) 456 8686
fax (323) 544 6186
Neuro Health, LLC
January 2015 - Current
- Los Angeles County Superior Court appointed: Expert Panel, Criminal
- Neuropsychological evaluations for the Law Offices of the Public Defender
- Clinical Neuropsychological Evaluations and Treatment for: Traumatic Brain Injury, Acquired Brain Injury, Dementia, Forensic, Substance Abuse, Autism, Learning Disabilities, Adult and Adolescent, Chronic Pain
- Psychodiagnostic and psychological evaluations for DSM disorders (e.g. MDD, OCD, Substance Abuse, GAD, PTSD, Adjustment, Somatic Disorders
- Cognitive Rehabilitation for Dementia and Traumatic Brain Injury
- Principle Investigator: “Neuropsychological Considerations Based on Case Comparison of Co-Morbid Apert Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder, and Sensory Processing Disorder"
California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
July 2015 - July 2016
Assessment, Clinical Neuropsychological Evaluations, Dementia and Brain Injury
Development of NARP, Neuropsychological Assessment Referral Process
Teaching educational sessions to clinical psychologists in assessment and diagnosis of brain injury, dementia, and other cognitive problems
Principle Investigator, Veterans Affairs, without compensation
July 2015 - Current
Current work: Pilot study in Chronic Pain and Traumatic Brain Injury
Clinical Instructor, UCLA Department of Pediatrics Clinical Faculty, vl
July 2015 - Current
Adjunct Faculty, Fielding Graduate University
January 2017 - Current
National Academy of Neuropsychology Foundation (NAN foundation)
2014 - Current
- Secretary of the Board (January, 2017); voting member on the Board of Trustees (January, 2014)
- Chair of Media committee (as of January 2014 and current)
Los Angeles County Psychological Association (LACPA)
2014 - 2017
- A voting board member
- Chair of the Public Education committee
Editorial Positions (Journals):
2015 - Current
- Brain Imaging and Behavior
- Applied Neuropsychology
- Archives of Neuropsychology
- American Psychological Association Early Career Professional Award (2015)
- Best Abstract, Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, and Selected to present at the 2015 Sino-American
- Conference, Shanghai, China (2015)
- Sponsorship of young leadership in Neuropsychology, National Academy of Neuropsychology Women in Leadership (2014)
- Exceptional Contribution Award, Veterans Affairs of greater Los Angeles (2013)
- Best Dissertation Abstract, Fielding Graduate University (2012)
- UCLA scholarship for academic excellence (Bachelor’s Degree, 2002)
PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE
Institution: Veterans Health Affairs of Greater Los Angeles, Principle Investigator/Health Science Specialist
July 2012 – June 2015
Grant-related studies involving neuropsychological testing and PET with veterans returning from the recent OEF/OIF wars
- PET imaging and neuropsychological testing of veterans with blast-related head injuries
- Lead Scientist – oversees all segments of the study: supervision of coordinators,recruitment, chart review, PET imaging,neuropsychological testing, patient feedback,data analysis, publications, and grant writing.
- Neuropsychological testing, Brain Injury, and PTSD – conducted over 250 neuropsychological evaluations
- Mild blast and blunt TBI and Executive Functioning Neuropsychological Testing
- Produced more than 9 abstracts and senior authored a full paper
- Ongoing collaboration with residents and bi-monthly teaching to residents in Special Topics in Neuropsychology
Institution: UCLA Longevity Center, Semel Institute for Neuroscience & Human Behavior (David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA) Doctoral Clinician Trainee/Program Developer
July 2012 – July 2014
- Mind-Body Connection – lead designer and implementer of a systemized technique of weekly cognitive rehabilitation for MCI, Dementia, and TBI patients, incorporating music, Tai Chi, art, mindfulness, progressive relaxation, and Imagery
- Memory Care – trained and supervised note writing of practicum students for Memory Care
- POM Research – neuropsychological testing with geriatric participants. Observed practicum students in testing.
Institution: Pepperdine University (Adjunct Faculty)
May 2014 - July 2014
- Graduate level Assessment course for the Master’s program Doctoral Clinician Trainee
Institution: UCLA Psychiatry (Researcher)
August 2012 - March 2013
- Research interviewer and rater of DSM-IV disorders using the SCID and CAAPS
Institution: Los Angeles County Psychological Association (LACPA)
March 2013 - March 2014
- Founder and leader of Women Finding Balance Special Interest Group
- Founder of Public Education committee
Institution: Universal Broadcasting Network
February 2014 - May 2016
- Public Education in Neuropsychology: Research, design & live, on-air broadcasting of weekly radio shows focusing on neuropsychology, the brain, mental health, spirituality, and wellbeing
- Neuropsychological Tools in Cognitive Rehabilitation for Moderate to Severe Traumatic Brain Injury, Invited Speaker, ThinkTank, April 8th, 2017.
- American Academy of Pediatric Neuropsychology (AAPdN), Neuropsychological Considerations Based on Case Comparison of Co-Morbid Apert Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder, and Sensory Processing Disorder, April 21-23, 2017
- Neuropsychological Considerations in Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, Invited Speaker, Fielding Graduate University, January 18th, 2017.
- The 3rd Sino-America Nuclear Medicine Meeting, Abnormal FDG-PET Findings and Sub-Optimal Effort in Veterans with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury May 3rd, 2015
- Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Mid-Year Meeting, Abnormal FDG-PET Findings and Sub-Optimal Effort in Veterans with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, San Antonio, Texas, January 22nd, 2015
- International Neuropsychology Society conference, Veterans Diagnosed with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Jerusalem, Israel, July 9th, 2014
- International Neuropsychology Society conference Comparison of Effort Measures, Cognitive Complaints, and Self-reported Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Blast-Induced Mild TBI. Jerusalem, Israel, July 10th, 2014
- David Geffen School of Medicine UCLA Informal Brown Bag Lunch (NIBBL) Trainee Talks, Mild TBI and PTSD of OIF/OEF Veterans, 2013
- UCLA Medical School Residency Program, TBI and Neuropsychological Testing
- Forensic Mental Health Association of California (FMHAC): Executive Functioning Neuropsychological Testing of Veterans Diagnosed with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (1.5 hour), March 14th, 2013
- Pasadena Conference on Aging: Aging and Memory, April 5th, 2013
- 2013 2nd Annual Parkinson’s Disease Symposium: Dementia and Memory in Parkinson’s Disease, May 4th, 2013
- University of London, Implications of Research on the Neuroscience of Affect, Attachment, and Social Cognition: Executive Functioning Neuropsychological Testing of Veterans Diagnosed with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, May 18th – 19th, 2013
- Law Group Conference, Hertzelia, Israel: Neuropsychological Testing and Traumatic Brain Injury, May 29th, 2013
- Get Healthy Pasadena, 2013: Tai Chi, Mindfulness, Creativity, and Mental Health, June 8th, 2013
- 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Neurology and Therapeutics: Executive Functioning Neuropsychological Testing of Veterans Diagnosed with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, June 17th – 19th, 2013
- National Association for Rural Mental Health Conference, 2013: Executive Functioning Neuropsychological Testing of Veterans Diagnosed with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, July 31st-August 3rd, 2013
- Veterans Affairs, Long Beach Radiology Department: Neuropsychological Testing and Traumatic Brain Injury, September 25th, 2013
- Veterans Affairs of Greater Los Angeles Radiology Residency Program: Neuropsychological Testing and Traumatic Brain Injury + Suicide Prevention with the Combat Veteran, October 28th, 2013
- Presentation: Mild TBI and Neuropsychological Deficits for UCLA Medical Center, Monthly meeting of Nuclear Medicine residents, June 15th 2012
- Certified in administering and scoring the SCID – Structured Clinical Interview for DSM Disorders
March 2010 – present
- Gaines, K. D, & Soper, H. (2016). Neuropsychological assessment of executive functioning following pediatric traumatic brain injury. Applied Neuropsychology Child.
- Gaines, K. D., Soper, H., & Berenji, G. (2014). Executive Functioning of Combat Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Applied Neuropsychology Adult, 1-10.
- Gaines, K. D., Okonek, A., Sayre, J., Alas, R., & Berenji, G. (2014). Abnormal FDG- PET Findings and Sub-Optimal Effort in Veterans with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Mid-Year Meeting.
- Gaines, K. D., Soper, H., & Berenji, G. R. (2014). Executive functioning of combat veterans diagnosed with mild traumatic brain injury. International Neuropsychology Society conference. Jerusalem, Israel, July 9th, 2014.
- Gaines, K. D., Berenji, G. R., Alas, R. S., Sayre, J., & Okonek, A. (2014). Comparison of effort measures, cognitive complaints, and self-reported neuropsychiatric symptoms in blast-induced mild TBI. International Neuropsychology Society conference. Jerusalem, Israel, July 10th, 2014.
- Gaines, K. D., Isaacs, C., Horton, F. M., Doig, H. M., & Soper, H. V. (2010). Christensen and Rey Tangled-8 Tests for Executive Assessment. Applied Neuropsychology, 17, 211.
- Gaines, K. D., Bennett, T. L., Doig, H. M., Loo, M. M., & Soper, H. V. (2011). Effects of Aging on Memory. Applied Neuropsychology, 18.
- Poster: Executive Functioning Neuropsychological Deficits of Veterans Diagnosed with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, July 16th 2012, Fielding Graduate University National Session
- Langevin, J.P, Gaines, D, Choi E, Krahl S.E., & Berenji G. (2015). Trigeminal nerve stimulation for the treatment of mild traumatic brain injury. NANS Annual Meeting, December 10-13, 2015, Las Vegas, NV.
- Ni, C., Gaines, K. D, & Berenji, G. R. (2014). Regional cerebral metabolism in veterans without traumatic brain injury (TBI). Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Mid-Year Meeting.
- Jafari, L. Gaines, K. D., Alas, R., Diaz-Aguilar, D., Silverman, D., & Berenji, G. R. (2014). Regional cerebral metabolism changes in blast-induced traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorders.
- Berenji, G. R., Gaines, K. D., et al. (2014). Perception of sensory/perceptual deficits and cerebellar hypometabolism in recently deployed veterans with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Conference, MTA II: Neurology Posters
- Berenji, G R., Diaz-Aguilar, D, Gaines, K. D., et al. (2014). Lateralization of temporal metabolism observed in combat veterans in absent after traumatic brain injuries following blast exposures. Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Conference, MTA II: Neurology Posters
- Loo, M. M., Doig, H. M., Gaines, K. D., Bennett, T. L., & Soper, H. V. (2011). Effects of Aging on Intellect. Applied Neuropsychology, 18.
- Loo, M. M., Doig, H. M., Gaines, K. D., Bennett, T. L., & Soper, H. V. (2011). Effects of Aging on Neuropsychology. Applied Neuropsychology, 18.
- Bennett, T. L., Loo, M. M., Doig, H. M., Gaines, K. D., & Soper, H. V. (2011). Effects of Age on the Cognitive Functioning of Children. Applied Neuropsychology, 18.
RESEARCH LAB EXPERIENCE
Institution: Vcare Research, Henry Soper, Ph.D
January 2010 – January 2011
- Research in the area of executive functioning (poster presented March of 2010 in ACPN conference and published in Applied Neuropsychology, American College of Professional Neuropsychology (see publication description below)
- Research assistant on dissertation in schizophrenia and mental health insight (completed short assessments for over 50 individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia)
- Research in the area of memory deficits in normal aging due to be presented in ACPN conference in March of 2011
- Research on the effects of aging on intellect and neuropsychological functioning due to be presented in ACPN conference in March of 2011
- Research on the effects of age on cognitive functioning of children due to be presented in ACPN conference in March of 2011
- Research and neuropsychological testing in the area of Apert Syndrome – case study November 2011-January 2013
- Research on delayed handedness
Juvenile Justice, Alcohol and Mental Health, Santa Barbara, CA
July 2011 – June 2012
- Forensic neuropsychological evaluations for the court
- Neuropsychological screening at the Los Prietos Boys Camp
- Individual and group psychotherapy at the Los Prietos Boys Camp
- Psychological evaluations and parental fitness evaluations for the court
- Formulating and presenting didactics and psychoeducation presentations in neuropsychology
Juvenile Justice, Alcohol and Mental Health, Santa Barbara, CA
July 2011 – June 2012
- Formulating and presenting powerpoint presentations for institutional officers on psychology and neuropsychology in forensic settings.
Community Assessment Service Center, Van Nuys, CA
March 2009 – March 2010
- Population: adult and adolescent, severely mentally disturbed, often extensive drug use, co-morbid mental health diagnosis
- Leader of 2 weekly group therapy sessions and 10 weekly individual therapy sessions for individuals diagnosed with co occurring disorders such as schizophrenia, bi-polar, depression, anxiety, alcoholism, addiction, substance induced psychosis, etc., and for women-parents with co-occurring disorders
- Group therapy included coping with mental health diagnosis, finding dignity and self- respect, social and emotional connections, coping skills, and life skills
- Neuropsychological assessments using neuropsychological screening and a comprehensive neuropsychological battery
- Psychological assessments including biopsychosocial interview,
screening, cognitive, personality, and projective measurements
- Substance abuse evaluations including administering urine test analysis
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Clinical Psychology and Neuropsychology
Sept 2007 –July 2012
Institution: Fielding Graduate University
Dissertation project approved and funded by the Veterans Affairs of Greater Los Angeles in neuropsychology executive functioning and mild Traumatic Brain Injury – Executive Functioning Neuropsychological Testing of Veterans Diagnosed with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. This research project was led by the director of Nuclear Medicine at the VA of Westwood, California.
Masters Degree (M.A.) in Clinical Psychology and Neuropsychology
Sept 2007 – June 2010
Institution: Fielding Graduate University
Completed over 3000 practicum + internship hours in neuropsychological and psychological assessments, group therapy, individual therapy, and substance abuse assessment with juvenile offenders, forensic settings, parental fitness, the severely mentally disturbed population, battered women, and abused children. Completed training in forensic neuropsychology, child neuropsychology, geriatric neuropsychology, neuropsychological deficits related to substance abuse, head injuries, and developmental conditions, and treatment of co-morbid psychological diagnosis. Courses completed include: theories of personality, psychopathology, legal, ethical, and professional practice, psychological assessment, neuropsychological assessment, psychotherapy process, bases of behavior, research design and methodology, geropsychology, advanced topics in neuropsychology, child neuropsychology and advanced topics in research.
Bachelor of Science – Business Economics, minor in Accounting
Sept 2002 – June 2004
Institution: University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
Scholarship award for academic excellence
Courses included: Game Theory, Econometrics, Business Ethics, Business Law, Applied Statistics, and Public Finance
Other Professional Experience:
Health Net, Inc., Woodland Hills, CA Sarbanes-Oxley Business Consultant Aug 2005 – Feb 2006
Deloitte & Touché, Los Angeles, CA Tax Associate July 2004 – Aug 2005
American Academy of Neurology (AAN) (former)
The National Academy of Neuropsychology (NAN) (current)
Los Angeles County Psychological Association (LACPA) (current)
Language: Fluent in Hebrew, understands basic Italian, understands basic Arabic
References: Furnished upon request